TEL. 0121 447 7555

Why your Club needs Employers Liability insurance

By law you are required to have Employers’ Liability Insurance if you employ staff at your club.

Employers Liability insurance provides cover in the event of if an employee sustains an injury or becomes ill as a result of your negligence and claims against you. Your insurance policy will cover you for any legal costs and compensation payments up until the maximum amount stated in your policy.

It is vital that your Employers Liability Certificate is on display in your club or else you could be fined.


If I have volunteers, do I still need Employers Liability cover?

You still have the same duty of care for volunteers as you do for paid members of staff under the Health and Safety at Work Act. The volunteers working at the club will need to be insured on your policy against injury or illness, either through your Public Liability Insurance or Employers’ Liability Insurance. If you’re unsure refer to your Policy Wording, or speak to us on 0121 447 7555.

If the accurate insurance cover is not in place, a volunteer could potentially make a claim against your club without your policy being able to defend you. This could result in the claim being settled with your own funding.

How can I defend a claim during an employment dispute?

You will need to ensure you’ve done your due diligence and complied with all relevant laws and regulations.


Your club has a responsibility to maintain a safe working environment for everyone who visits your club or works for you. If an employee is injured because it is not a safe working environment, they could make a claim against you.


Full risk assessments must be carried out and relevant steps must be taken to mitigate risks. Employees must have training and should not be expected to carry out tasks that could put them at risk. Employees or volunteers should never be expected to undertake tasks they are not capable of or trained / prepared for, such as heavy lifting or undertaking a task without protection equipment (i.e goggles).


Your club should have an accident report procedure in place, in which accidents are recorded with when the event occurred, details of what happened and name/position of the supervisor that recorded the information. Any spillages should be cleaned straightaway and during these unprecedented times, surfaces should be disinfected frequently, with sanitising stations located throughout the club.

If you require any assistance with any Insurance related queries, please contact us on 0121 447 7555.

This entry was posted in Blog.
  • * indicates required field